Sunday 22 April 2012

Horror Stories: A Photo Essay

I live in Edmonton, Alberta.  Let me find that on a map for you.


Who am I kidding.  The only people who read this are my friends.  They know where Edmonton is.  Most of them live here.  Whatever.  I'll do it anyway—dress for the job you want, not the job you have, right?


This is obviously from Google Maps, but I believe in intellectual
property rights so here's a credit.


As you can see, we're south of Scandinavia, but completely land-locked.  We get some weird weather patterns:  a lot of influence from the arctic, and we're just close enough to the Rockies for them to mess with us a bit too.  It's cold, not humid, sunny, precipitatey, and tempermental.


Thus, I present this photo essay:  the first three weeks of April 2012 in Edmonton.  I call it:


This is Why We Bitch So Much

01 April, 3:05 pm, snowing.

01 April, 5:52 pm, sunny and clear.

01 April, 5:52 pm, shiny and clear.

03 April, 8:05 pm, peaceful sunset.

05 April, 8:18 am.  PSYCH!

05 April, 8:18 am.  

 
05 April, 8:55 am, still snowing like damn. 

05 April, 8:55 am.  So pretty.  FOR DECEMBER!

05 April, 8:55 am. Someone probably made this while their bus was running
forty minutes late.  (Because ETS drivers don't give a shit!)

05 April, 2:37 pm.  The sky is clearing, and the melt has begun.

08 April, 2:46 pm.  Every flake of snow is gonezor.

11 April 5:29 pm.  It's really gloomy out.  You can look right into the sun.


11 April 5:30 pm.  This pylon has been here since before that last snowstorm.
Now it's knocked over.  I have foreboding.
 

11 April 5:30 pm.  It's actually kind of pretty.

11 April 5:31 pm.  The light is really creeping me out.  Gotta get home.

13 April 8:13 am.  I am so happy!  We really needed the rain. 

13 April 8:13 am.  I'm super happy.

14 April 11:57 am.  Oh hai winter.
This is getting ridiculous.

17 April 2011, 6:50 pm.  Coraline basks in the sun, and I take the photo in shirtsleeves.

17 April 2011, 7:11 pm.  I love evergreens against a blue, blue sky.
Really!  NO COAT!!!

As I write this, it's plus nineteen on the 22nd of April at 6:04 pm.  Here's what it looks like outside today.

That's $2.69 cilantro from Home Depot, and the street is washed out behind
because my phone camera is all "what? Sunshine? What?"

And last year?  Last year, on the 22nd, we went to Cold Lake for Easter, so I'll have to give you a shot from the 21st.  I think a variance of one day is still a fair comparison.

Ew, check out those naaaaasty clouds.  Also it only got up to 10 degrees.  Gross.

And that, friends, is why we bitch so much.

I wasn't clear?

The weather is mental! Come on!

It's just ... the weather isn't like this on TV.  The end.

3 comments:

  1. I want to like specific photos, but I do not how to do that. Anyways my name is Carrie Anne and I approve this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Mine aren't as good as yours, though.

      Delete
  2. I love your pictures ... you have a fine eye!

    ReplyDelete