Tuesday 14 August 2012

Summertime Adventures: Part IV

Another thing you can do in Edmonton in the summer if you are Hawk is to invite your old friend to town for two weeks to write a screenplay and spend the first four or five days doing other stuff. (UPDATE: Screenplay is now almost done. Soon they will be famous and I will regret poking fun at them when they take each other to the Academy Awards and not me.)

Like go to West Edmonton Mall on a hot, hot Sunday afternoon instead of going to Heritage Days (another Edmonton Festival, like A Taste of Edmonton, that is woefully similar every single year).

Here is Hawk and his buddy at Bourbon Street.



This photograph is meaningful for a few reasons. One, one of these guys doesn't like having his picture taken and isn't here for me to ask if I can publish it. Oops. Two, it's a great relief that I got to take the picture, because mere hours before this, one of these guys was riding THE ROLLER COASTER THAT FELL APART!!!!!!!!!!  (FORESHADOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

When I was little, Galaxyland was called Fantasyland, but I guess there is also a Disney Fantasyland so Disney sued West Edmonton Mall and they had to change the name and decorate it with an unbelievably hideous space theme.

Here you can see Hawk standing between some of Galaxland's hideous pillars, which I think 
are supposed to be a rip-off of the inside of the TARDIS, only painted
blue and yellow. At least Hawk is looking sexy. Me-ow!

Another thing that happened when I was little* was the roller coaster in West Edmonton Mall broke and killed some people and as far as I'm concerned, that means it is set to break again any second.

That is incredibly illogical. It's probably now the safest, most strictly maintained coaster in the world to make sure it doesn't ever break again, but I dunno ... it freaks me out.

Plus, there are two different roller coaster type rides intertwined here,
the red track (doom) and the yellow track, which looks like it might be a fun ride
except for the fact that it is intertwined with DOOM!

Hawk and I had to wait approximately FOREVER for his friend to have his turn on the coaster so I took a bunch of piccys.

VROOM! When that car flew under the pedway I almost wet myself,
it was so fast and noisy. (Exaggeration level: slight. I actually almost barfed.)

Doop-de-doo

The rides are set up in such a way that some, like this one, go right over your
head if you are standing on the pedway. Not only are they intertwined
with each other, but they are intertwined with innocent bystanders.

We were running late for our movie so I didn't get to ride the carousel. If I were there with my Papa,
I WOULD HAVE GOT TO RIDE THE CAROUSEL!

Anyway, it's super good that the roller coaster didn't crash and fall apart and kill a bunch of people again. 


______________________
 *These summertime adventure blog posts sure are heavy on things that traumatized me in the past, eh?  Like that tornado, now known as Black Friday, mentioned here? I'm still scared of tornadoes. I get nightmares. This one time when Magpie and I had a babysitter, there was a tornado warning so I gathered up all my precious things in my comforter and spent the evening hiding in the basement bathroom like a coward. Summer is scary!

3 comments:

  1. make papa take you on the carousel again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday soon Papa will have to take Cobrastarshine for his first ride! I'll go then :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that Hawk is really hawt...

    ReplyDelete