Thursday 17 May 2012

Guest Posts: Ted Finchley and Dick's Surgery: Instalment 2

Our very good friend Ted Finchley continues his narrative of Mr Dick's surgery ... Instalment 1 available here!



DICK’S SURGERY 

Instalment Two: Surgery

What went on for the next two hours is open to some speculation as neither my consciousness nor my delicate flower, Mrs. Dick, was present. However, I later spoke with Dr. Dupuis who had assisted with the surgery. She re-affirmed the surgeon’s skills, telling me he deftly untangled muscle from the mangle of spurs covering the affected area, and with pliers and saw blades he sweated his way through the complex and demanding procedure. Eventually, after much measuring, fitting, drilling and re-fitting, the cobalt-chromium ball and socket implant was in place; muscle was re-strung and stitched together; and the whole re-conditioned area was stapled up.

Nice sweats, Mr Dick!

The surgeon, according to Dr. Dupuis, has his own little funny quips, but his familiar “Next victim!” was not heard this time as the ordeal had drained every ounce of his humour.

Now that I was re-constructed, Dr. Dupuis assured me I had 15 to 20 useful, and virile, years ahead of me. As I envisioned Mrs. Dick in her gumboots, her chapped hands delicately caressing her pitch-fork and her tousled hair stringing from her toque, my blood warmed in passion and I told Dr. Dupuis I could hardly wait to be once again in the pasture, turning the compost alongside that ever-faithful woman I’m proud to call my very own.

As scary and risky as the surgery might have been, it was without incident. Little could I have imagined what would follow.

More to come!

1 comment: