Monday 28 May 2012

Guest Posts: Ted Finchley Brings Dick Up Again


Ted Finchley is back with Instalment 3 of Dick's Surgery! Read on as the brave Mr Dick faces his greatest challenge yet, waking up after surgery only to—no, Mr Finchley tells it so much better. 

Catch up on Instalment 2 here!


DICK’S SURGERY

Instalment Three: Recovery

My awakening was both sudden and terrifying: “I can’t move. I’m dead. Am I in heaven, purgatory or hell? I just know I’m not alive.” Within seconds, terror was replaced by a warming calm. I looked up and slowly brought two images into one smiling, beautiful face.

“I’m your nurse, Sarah,” the vision purred. As I tried to lean forward, I thought I heard: “I’ll make you feel good for all time.”

“A-h-h, I must be in heaven,” I thought. I heard myself asking: “Are you an angel? Tell me again what you said.”

A poke in the ribs was accompanied by a voice with a familiar, and loving, harshness. “Mr. Dick, my dearest, the nurse says you’ll feel good in no time.”

“Not in heaven, after all.” Doing my best to hide my disappointment, I looked over to my charming wife and asked: “My dear Mrs. Dick, will I be going for surgery soon?”


Once I realised we were no longer in pre-op and the deed was done, I concentrated on watching Sarah drain the little plastic grenade connected to my surgical wound. I slipped in and out of sleep, searching for Nurse Sarah in my conscious moments, and chasing her, with the dainty Mrs. Dick at my side, romping through fields of bluebells in my drug-induced dreams.

Temperature 35 degrees C, blood pressure 99 over 66, heart rate 49; barely alive. 

Gradually I warmed up, became more coherent and realised that nurse Sarah’s shift was overleaving me with a comforting Mrs. Dick at my side, her gentle presence lessening the depressed state in which I found myself.

Temperature 35.5 degrees C blood pressure 102 over 68, heart rate 60; vital signs improving. 

“They’ve strapped you in, my love, to stabilise your hip.” I looked down to see my legs separated by, and firmly bound to, a big blue contraption shoved up into my groin.



More drugs to the IV; more pills to swallow; more plastic jug emptying; more despondent boredom.

As evening approached, another recovering patient, obviously heavily drugged, was wheeled into the space behind the curtain separating our beds. With Mrs. Dick gone, I mentally prepared myself for a restful night. As I lay there, I became aware of an unpleasant feeling at the base of my abdomen, as if something was pulling at me.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment