Saturday 12 May 2012

Mums

Today is Mother's Day and it is the day to officially state Mums are awesome!


I love my Mum! Hawk loves his Mom! I love my Nana! I love my Gram! And we can give a quick shout-out to some other rad mothers we know, like Hawk's little sister, and his sister-in-law; my Aunts and Hawk's; and our beloved friends who are mothers and step-mothers. You know who you are.


But this post is dedicated to the newest mum in my family, my sista!


Clever photo disguises both their identities!


She's an awesome mum. Her stupid baby melts my heart. He's so sweet and happy. He's probably still too young to recognise that I'm his Aunty, but he knows I'm a safe and special person. His special mum never skimps on the baby-sharing, and when I go to visit, I get loads of cuddles and special favours like getting to feed him or getting pooped on. We're gonna be besties when he's just a little older.


My sis is making sure that boy is going to be totally well-adjusted, too. He gets to meet loads of people. She and her husband maintain their sanity by leaving him with babysitters, trusted friends and family members who will probably also be Aunts and Uncles to him. He already knows that he will always be safe, and Mum and Dad will always come back.


Maybe the coolest part of Magpie's motherhood is her attitude. Nana said she is the most relaxed mother she (Nana) has ever seen. And why wouldn't she be? Her baby is basically a genius.  Her husband helps out with the baby. And of course, she's got me at her back just in case she needs me. Who could ask for more? Right? Right? Anyway ...


I knew she was going to be a top-notch mother because she's such a good sister. She's fairly reasonable, for a sister. For example, she even let me take a few pictures of her in the delivery room (after the birth! AFTER!) even though she'd previously declared no pictures. I've seen her looking more polished and more stylish, but never more beautiful. She was glowing in two ways: her skin was lit up like a pearl, and her spirit was shining. I wish the pictures had done her justice, but they don't. They're out of focus. It's like her aura was creating a haze of awesome around her that totally fucked up the photographs.*


So, Magpie, best sister ever, super-cool mum, happy Mother's Day. I hope that kid of yours gives you the cuddles you deserve.


Here, I got you some flowers.




__________________
*That isn't to say motherhood is all glowing skin and fancy-schmancy auras. As the sista, I'm also privy to super-secret-sister-secret TMIs about things like feeding and other things that if I even categorise them can only lead the imagination to imagine them, thus betraying the SSSS-ness of them. Motherhood can really suck, and the fact that ladies pull it off is absolutely brilliant.

2 comments:

  1. I love you, are so sweet to me. Thank you for the happy making post!! I dunno how to make hearts on my mac. 3£ nope, not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make the hearts for you! ♥♥♥♥♥♥, etc.

    You out did yourself this time Becca. This post literally brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete