Saturday 24 March 2012

Excuses for Spending Money

I'm not a great photographer.  My sister often looks at my photos, or me while taking a photo, and yells at me for not knowing how to use my camera.  


"But Rad Panda!  You use great photos on your blog all the time!  You are being far too modest," you protest.


Thank you, that is very kind.  It is true that I try to use only my best pics on this blog.  But.  I have to take many, many pictures to get good ones.  This is based on statistics.  Here's a shot to show you Magpie isn't just a harpie.


Over-exposed, composition includes someone's crotch and table junk, actual age number is upside down, and spiral candles look like it's someone's 33rd birthday.  Well done, Red Panda.

It's okay.  My feelings aren't hurt.  I just feel bad when I capture faces in a similar manner and make my beautiful friends and family look like uggos.  Sorry, no examples forthcoming.  I don't have the heart to publish something like that.  Some photographers capture the beauty within.  I capture the beast.

So I'm going to save up my money for a Canon Digital SLR.

After all my whining about lack of ability, why would I even bother?  My point-and-shoot is really an excellent camera for its class.  I will wait for it to break before investing in something truly amazing.  But given I use my current camera in snowstorms and let novice skaters take it out on the ice, I think its time might come before its time, if you get my drift?*

This is a demonstration of me trusting my man.
(Neither of us so much as stumbled and we had a most excellent time.)

My justification for replacing my good camera with a great camera is twofold.

Fold one.  If I have a great camera I will be like my dad and he will finally be proud of me!

Fold two.  This one time, with my dad's camera, I took this photograph.  

Magpie est le bad-ass, n'est pa?

And then I took many more kickbutt photos while borrowing my dad's camera.  This taught me an important life lesson.  When Mark Twain said "Clothes make the man", he was correct.  But not just about clothes.

I think this picture sums up my thesis about camera quality as well.

What Mark Twain didn't realise was that you don't have to stop with clothes.  Yes, you can put fancy clothes on an idiot and people will instantly take him seriously.  But, you can also give a hack musician a quality instrument and she will immediately sound better.  You can give athletes professional equipment, and their game will improve.

You can give me a real camera,  and I can make a dead animal look arty.

I rest my case.





*If you get my snowdrift! Hahahahhahahahah

3 comments:

  1. what's a 'bating' suit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eff balls. This is worse than the time my meerkat said Tim instead of time.

      Delete
    2. All fixed. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW

      Delete